A funny idea I had over thanksgiving break. I realized would be pretty simple, so I made it.

An example of emo in action

There are a lot of human unfriendly strings out there, for instance, UUIDs and SHA1s.

When you have to work with a couple of these strings, it's manageable; most programmers I know see f985dab7704a and remember that as "the one that starts with f9." And tab completion helps.

But when you start to have tens or hundreds of these strings, it starts to get messy, and we lose the ability to quickly look at some output and see what node/commit/container/image is being referenced.

Here's the emo project page with more information and the emo github repo.